3 C Dried navy beans
4 C Water
1 Tbls Kosher salt
1 Tbls molasses
1 Tbls yellow mustard
1/2 C Packed dark brown sugar
2 C Ketchup
1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
2 Lbs Thick cut bacon
3 C Chicken broth (optional)
6 oz Can tomato sauce (optional)
I am providing instructions here for slow cooker (crockpot). Check link below for cooktop instructions.
Prepare the beans
- Place dried beans in the crockpot and cover with water. Let beans soak overnight in the refridgerator.
- Drain all the water from the beans. Add four (4) cups of fresh water. Cover crockpot and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
Prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Chop the bacon up into bite-sized pieces. I like to pre-cook the bacon and addthe cooked bacon and fat to the beans.
- Finely chop the onions; I prefer yellow onion for this recipe. Saute' in butter until tender and translucent.
- (Optional) Since I do not drain the cooked beans, adding the broth is optional.
- (Optional) For a thicker and more tomato taste, a 6 oz can of tomato sauce may be added to the mix.
- Add the rest of Ingredients and mix into beans. Cook on HIGH for about 30 minutes to warm everything through.
- Serve immediately. Turn crockpot to low or warm setting to keep the beans warm. Leftover, if there are any, may be frozen for later use.