7 1/2 Tblsp butter
6 Tblsp flour
1 1/2 cups sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups yell bell pepper, chopped
3 Celery stalks, chopped
2 1/4 cups sliced smoked andouille sausage
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp Ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning or cajun seasoning
6 Cups chicken stock
3 3/4 Cups chopped, chooked chicken breast
1 /12 bay leaf
1 1/2 Cups frozen okra, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
3 Cups cooked white rice (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium/high heat.
- Whisk in the flour and countinue to whisking until the mixture starts to turn golden brown and smell nutty. Approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, bell perppers, and celery. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the sausage to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the garlic, mustard, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, and creole seasoning. Cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly and scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly add the checken stock to the pot, stirring to combine. Add the chicken and bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the bay leaf, okra, salt and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the soup egins to thicken.